Good morning! As you know if you’ve ever read my blog before, I LOVE pasta. Seriously, I might have an issue. Anyway, here is one of the most requested dishes at my house, Baked Ziti. This is seriously one of the easiest recipes for Baked Ziti I’ve tried and it is the BEST! To be fair it does take a little prep time, but this is also one of those meals that if you are having a cooking day, cook the sauce and freeze it. Then, thaw and bring to a simmer on the day you need it! I do this frequently so we have an easy, yet delicious, weeknight meal! Baked Ziti, salad and a glass of vino, life is good! (PDF version of the recipe for easy printing – Baked Ziti).
2 pounds ground beef
1 pound mild Italian sausage
1 Yellow Onion diced
1 – 2 containers of sliced mushrooms (chopped even more finely)
2 Jars spaghetti sauce (I usually add a Tbsp. each of Basil, Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary)
8 oz. Mozzarella Cheese
16 oz. Ziti Pasta (or any type of cylindrical shape)
8 oz. Shredded Parmesan Cheese
8 oz. Shredded Mozzarella
- Cook Pasta
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Brown hamburger and Sausage together, mix thoroughly. Drain any fat.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add a teaspoon full or two of olive to pan and add mushrooms and onions. Saute until tender and onions are translucent.
- Add hamburger / sausage mixture back to pan and mix thoroughly.
- Add two jars of sauce and seasonings. Mix and bring to a simmer.
- Put ½ of cooked pasta in bowl and add enough sauce to coat completely (will be about ¼ – 1/3 of sauce).
- Grease 9” x 13” pan. Add pasta / sauce mixture to pan.
- Cover with a layer of sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Put the other ½ of cooked pasta in bowl and add enough sauce to coat completely (will be about ¼ – 1/3 of sauce).
- Add pasta / sauce mixture.
- Top with shredded Parmesan and shredded mozzarella.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Take leftover sauce and freeze. Makes enough to make a 9” x x9” baked ziti later or is great as spaghetti sauce.
I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do!