Good morning! I have a confession… I love chicken enchiladas… especially ones that are creamy and cheesy! Not sure, but, I might have a slight cheese addiction. Anyway, these chicken enchiladas are super easy and one thing I love is that they can be made ahead and frozen. I typically double the recipe while I am making it and then divide into four portions. These four portions will easily make four or five enchiladas each (enough for Hubs and I to have for dinner and then him to take one in for lunch the next day). Again, super easy, tasty and kid friendly! The items that are needed for the day of serving I have indicated below. I will provide freezer friendly directions as well! A printable PDF version of this recipe is available here (Easy Chicken Enchiladas). Just click on the link in the new page as well and it will open!
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts – cooked – cubed or shredded (I prefer shredded)
1 Tbsp of butter
1 small onion finely diced
1 – 4oz can of chopped green chiles
8 oz softened cream cheese (reduced fat or regular, both work fine)
1 ½ cups Mexican Cheese
1 – 1 ½ cups Salsa (to taste)
1 can black beans – rinsed and drained
1 can corn – drained
Cumin to taste
1 cup whipping cream (Day of serving)
8- 10 Flour Tortillas (Day of serving)
1 cup Mexican Cheese (Day of serving)
Red enchilada sauce (to taste – Day of serving)
- Bake and shred (or cube) chicken
- In large skillet melt butter and add onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add green chiles, salsa, and cream cheese. Cook over medium heat until well blended.
- Add chicken and 1 ½ cups of cheese. Cook until blended and cheese is melted.
- Add cumin, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- IF FREEZING – Let mixture cool, divide as necessary and place in freezer bags. I usually double the recipe, so I will put ¾ away to freeze and use ¼ to make a meal that evening. When reheating, let thaw for 24 hours and then place mixture in a microwave bowl for a minute, stirring often to warm. Or place in skillet over medium heat for a few moments to warm.
- Soften tortillas according to package directions. Place about 3 – 4 Tbsp of filling in center of each tortilla. Roll and Place seam side down in a greased dish.
- Pour whipping cream over tortillas. Add enchilada sauce if desired and top with 1 cup cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
I hope you and your family and friends enjoy this easy dish as much as we do!
Until We Meet Again,