So…I have a confession, y’all… I turn 30 this year. Ok, ok, I know in the way of a confession that is not really a confession, a simple Google search would have probably turned that up (along with who knows what else)… anyway, I digress. Well, here in a little over 8 months I turn 30.
As you get older there are moments when you realize that where you are is not always where you thought you would be at a certain age and we just have to get over that. It has been hard for me at times to realize that there are things I thought I would be doing or have accomplished by 30 that I will not be able to accomplish by 30, but then there are also some amazing things that I have been able to do and experience that I never thought I would have been able to. Life is quirky that way, isn’t it? Anyway, this year I’ve decided to set some goals for myself and by putting them here on this blog and making them public, I’m going to hold myself accountable. With these goals, I chose things that I can directly influence. Sure there are things I “want” but not that I can directly control.
1. I will do things that scare and challenge me more often. Some examples include skydiving (sorry Mom), learning to speak another language, rock climbing (did it a bit when I was younger, its been a while), challenge course races (not just a 5K, we are talking long distance challenge courses), running a half marathon every month starting in April and who knows what else!!!!
2. Take better care of myself. This is emotionally (saying no to things… I have a tendency to say “Yes” to any good cause that crosses my path and it gets quite draining at times), physically (must eat better and sleep more), and professionally (work smarter).
3. Be the type of friend and family member that I want to have. Love more. Talk less. Care more. Judge less. Laugh more. Complain less.
4. Continue to educate myself. I read a list recently of 200 books that everyone should read before they turn 30… well, I had read most of them, however, there were several on the list that either I hadn’t read or had not read in more than ten years (which means folks, I have no clue what happened in the book!). I am challenging myself to read as many on that list as possible by my birthday! I also added some books that I wanted to read as well to the list! The final list is here.
5. Finally, while I am a truly happy and positive person, sometimes I get focused on what I don’t have more so than what I have and this year I will commit myself to being thankful for everyone and everything in my life.
Ok, folks… those are my goals for 2013… I will keep you all posted of how they are going. I hope each of you has a WONDERFUL day and Thanks for stopping by!
Until We Meet Again,