One of the benefits of training for a marathon is that you don’t feel guilty when you enjoy a pasta dish (carb-loading, right?). Here is one of my new favorites recipes. It has truly become a go-to recipe (mostly because I usually have the ingredients in-house), also because it is delicious and very simple to throw together. This recipe is actually from the February 2011 issue of Glamour Magazine and was originally designed to serve two, however, since I usually entertain 4 people at a time, I altered the recipe to work for 4 people.
Fusilli with Sausage Ragu
1 lb fusilli (You can use any pasta, I have a hard time finding good fusilli, so I often will use rotini)
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage (if you use links, remove casings)
6 tbsp. tomato paste
1 cup white wine
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta and reserve 1 cup cooking water.
2. Heat olive oil and butter over medium low heat. Add red pepper, onion, garlic and cook until onion becomes transparent (about 5 min)
4. Add the tomato paste and stir constantly, until sausage is coated and mixture is fragrant (approx 1 min). 5. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan, cook until mostly reduced.
6. Remove from heat, add cooked pasta and 1 cup reserved cooking water and toss. Throw in parsley (optional) and cheese. Toss until combined.
7. Enjoy! Goes wonderfully with chardonnay.
I hope you enjoy this simple, yet super delicious recipe as much as I do!
Until We Meet Again,